8001 Zurich, Switzerland
Kreis 1: Altstadt
tel: 044 212 70 90
May-Sept Mon-Sat 9am-noon, daily 2-6pm; Oct, Mar-Apr Mon-Sat 10am-noon, daily 2-5pm; Nov-Feb Mon-Sat 10am-noon, daily 2-4pm
Fraumünster Church was founded as a convent in 853 AD. In 1045, the church and convent was allowed certain economic rights like the ability to hold a market and to mint coins. Today, you can still see a metal rod, a former standard of measure for cloth merchants, attached to the church's wall. The convent was later dissolved in the 16th century Zurich Reformation, and the church officially became a possession of the city. In the 20th century, Fraumünster became home to windows designed by Swiss artist Augusto Giacometti and Russo-French artist Marc Chagall. The famous Chagall windows, five in total, illustrate Christian themes, which are explained in church-provided guides written in several languages. Excluding Sunday services, Fraumünster is open from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM in the winter (November 1st to March 31st) and from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM in the summer (April 1st to October 31st).