With over 250,000 spectators expected in the area surrounding the London Eye for the annual New Year’s Eve fireworks show, a few tips are in order:
[flickr image by wobble-san]
1. Arrive early to mark your spot. Some bridges and viewing areas close at 8:00 or 9:00 pm.
2. Pack some food & drink, it can be nearly impossible to get into a pub or restaurant to buy anything. Alcohol is permitted provided it’s in plastic.
3. Dress warmly, even with rising temps the dampness in London and the wind on the river will cut right through you.
4. Consult the viewing map, always carry a map!
5. Remember if you can see the London Eye then you will see the fireworks.
6. All TFL travel on tubes, buses, trams, DLR is free from 11:45 pm on Dec 31 through 4:30 am on Jan 1. Expect massive queues however. It may be best to walk slightly further from the central activity than to wait up to 90 minutes to get into a station. Try to arrange for a taxi collection in a very specific location ahead of time.
7. Do not take any valuables.
8. Learn the lyrics to Auld Lang Syne by Scottish poet Robert Burns to be sung just after midnight.
9. Reiterating hint 2. No glass bottles, pack your holiday cheer in plastic please.
10. Or enjoy the action from the comfort of your hotel room by turning on BBC One.