Il Latini was founded in 1898 by Angelo Latini which it was located in Via della Vigna Nuova as a grocer and wine shop. In 1950 it was renovated into a tavola calda (local diner) which was influenced by his wife Narciso Latini. She cooked simple homemade meals but the taste was rich and wholesome. In 1960, they moved to Palazzo Rucellai,where it is currently located and in 1964 it was turned into a real restaurant. It suffered serious damage by the 1966 flood, but Narciso served hot meals to the Florentines even through the muddy streets. Since 1982, Il Latini is the home of the famous literary prize "Il Latini" which takes place every year on the first Saturday in May and has awarded the most distinguished personalities from the world of Italian culture. Since 2000, however, the place is also home to the award "Fine Dining" which takes place in the autumn. The wine cellar dates back to 1100 and has recently been restored under the watchful eye of the Superintendent of Fine Arts. Today Il Latini is run by Mr. Torello Latini (fourth generation of the Latini family). He has maintained the flavors of the authentic Florentine cooking made of simple, fresh and wholesome ingredients.