Brought to the world's attention by the movie "Schindler's List," the traditional Jewish area is coming back to life after years of neglect. Kazimierz was named after Casimir the Great who gave the town its charter in 1335. At the time- and for centuries afterwards— it functioned as a separate town. It had a separate administration and was also physically separated from Kraków by an arm of the Wisła. A bridge was built in 1802 and finally the section of the river was completely filled in, forming what is now Ulica Dietla. Within the boundaries of Kazimierz is an area called Stradom. This was also originally independant but was incorporated into Kazimierz way back in 1415. There are many fine churches and historical buildings here. The Jewish area of Kazimierz is the site of a handful of synagogues and other important monuments, such as the cemetery. Over the past few years many new cafés, restaurants and hotels have been opening up.