2130 Vista Del Mar Ave
Los Angeles, California 90068
This site was once home to a religious community started by the Adyar branch of the Theosophists. Theosophy was founded in 1875 by Madame Blavatsky, Henry Steel Olcott, and William Quan Judge with a basis in mystical beliefs and esoteric religious philosophy. This group of westerners was ahead of their time in adapting and embracing their own version of Eastern philosophy. After Madame Blavatsky's death in 1891, the Theosophists splintered into a number of sub-groups. One branch formed in Adyar, India, under Annie Besant. American followers of this branch, including Albert P. Warrington and Grace Shaw Duff, purchased land in Hollywood; in 1919 the Krotona community came into being at this locale. 5 years later, as the surrounding neighborhood became more populated, this religious community moved to Ojai where the Krotona School of Theosophy is still located today.