601 W. 5th Street
Los Angeles, California 90014
Built in 1931, this Art Deco building was designed by James and David Allison. This building was once the home of the Southern California Edison company; now it provides office space for a variety of tenants. Notable features of the building include the two story lobby featuring over a dozen types of marble and a large mural by Hugo Ballin titled "The Apotheosis of Power." Other highlights include the stone friezes by Merrel Gage which are located above the octagonal entryway and depict light, energy, and hydroelectric power. The first three stories of this building are limestone, above that the edifice is clad with terra cotta tiles. The street-level shopping arcade was added in 1993.