Interesting Facts about Munich
Top 12 Munich Facts
1. Fun fact: Not one frame of the movie "Munich" was filmed in Munich.
2. One family, the Wittelsbachs, ruled the country of Bavaria, with Munich as its capital, for 738 years.
3. Munich is home to the Bavarian Film Studios which are the biggest and most famous film production studios in Europe.
4. Munich has the strongest economy of any German city and has the lowest unemployment rate.
5. Weird fact: The local name for Munich is "Minga" although the proper high German name is München.
6. The major streets of the old town of Munich were pedestrianized for the Olympics in 1972 and have stayed pedestrian only ever since.
7. Most of the Oktoberfest is held in September. The Oktoberfest ends
the first weekend in October.
8. Weißwürste (white sausage) is a breakfast sausage that is the traditional breakfast of Munich, and is the only sausage from the area.
9. Munich's most famous soccer team, FC Bayern München, is also the most successful club in German soccer.
10. Random fact: Munich is Germany's 3rd largest city behind Berlin and Hamburg.
11. Munich is located just above the 48th parallel, making it further north than any major city in the United States (excluding Alaska).
12. An interesting fact for beer lovers everywhere is that there are six major breweries in Munich: Augustiner Bräu, Hofbräu, Löwenbräu, Hacker-Pschorr Bräu, Spaten-Franziskaner Bräu, and Paulaner Brauerei.
Things to See in Munich
Neues Schloss Schleißheim
Regus Business Center
Hauptbahnhof Central Station