Canon Theatre (formerly Pantages Theatre)
244 Victoria Street
(at Shuter Street)
M5B 1V8 Toronto, Canada
+1 416 364 4100
The Canon Theatre was built in 1920 as a combination vaudeville house and movie cinema. In the 1930s it became exclusively a movie cinema and remained that way until 1989 when it was restored as a theatre in its original 1920s style and opened as The Pantages, after the name of the Vaudeville entertainment empire of which it had once been a part. The Phantom of the Opera
was the first show to play at the theatre, and it ran for 12 years, so the show is rather indelibly linked to the theatre in the minds of most locals. In 2001, the theatre was renamed as The Canon, and in 2008 it became part of the Mirvish entertainment empire, alongside The Royal Alexandra Theatre and The Princess of Wales Theatre. It is now home to big-budget plays and musicals, many of them Broadway tours.