- When the foundations of the city walls were laid in 1791, Prince Karl Theodor ordered the construction of a square in front of the Neuhauser Tor, now the Karlstor. The square was named Karlsplatz after the prince, although the locals call it Stachus, probably after the Wirtschaft zum Stachus, or Stachus Inn, opened by Eustachius Föderl in 1755. The circular structures were built in 1899-1902 by Gabriel von Seidl in place of an earlier building erected in 1803. Karlsplatz was one of the busiest squares in the world in the 1920's. It was pedestrianised in 1972 to form the western edge of the pedestrian zone and, despite an unfortunate fountain and the traffic on Altstadtring which cuts the square off from the western side of the city, it is a popular meeting-place and one of the last sunny spots in the evening.
- © wcities.com 2013