80335 Munich, Germany
tel: +49 89 2339 6500 (Touristen Information)
The original Neuhauser Tor served as Munich's western city gate until Elector Karl Theodor had the city walls demolished in 1791 to open the city up for easier commerce. The original gate was demolished as well, but a commemorative gate was built and named Karlstor after Elector Karl Theodor. The entire platz was redesigned by the archetect Gabriel von Siedl between 1899 and 1902. Most visitors to Munich enter the old town through this gate as the main train station is to the west of the old town.