- Fort James was built in 1811 on the site of earlier Courlander and British settlements. It was named for James, Duke of Courland, a small Latvian territory. After permanent barracks were built on the site in 1768, it shifted hands many times between the British and the French. The British finally reclaimed the site in 1802 when Commodore Sir Samuel Hood arrived at Great Courland Bay with his squadron.
- © wcities.com 2013
- tel: +1 868 675 7034 (Tourism Department TIDCO)
- Off Courland Bay
- No Sweat
- User Rating