Interesting Facts about Singapore
1. Interesting Fact: Singapore measures just 41.8km by 22.5km and is home to nearly 5 million people – making it the second most densely populated country in the world, after Monaco.
2. Fun Fact: The National Orchid Garden houses the largest display of tropical orchids in the world, with over 1,000 species and 2,000 hybrids.
3. Random Fact: The Bukit Timah Nature Reserve contains more tree species in one hectare than in the whole of North America.
4. Interesting Fact: Singapore has four official languages (English, Mandarin, Tamil and Malay) and four official religions (Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism and Christianity).
5. Historical Fact: Sir Stamford Raffles, the founder of modern Singapore first stepped ashore on 29th January 1819.
6. Fun Fact: More than 600 financial institutions operate in Singapore, and it is home to South East Asia's largest stock market, and the World's fifth largest foreign exchange centre.
7. Random Fact: Changi Airport received a total of 37.2 million passengers in 2009.
8. Weird Fact: Singapore is a very flat country – the highest point, Bukit Timah hill, peaks at just 163.63m.
9. Fun Fact: At 165m, the Singapore Flyer is the world's highest observation wheel, and is the height of 31 male giraffes stacked on top of one another.
10. Random Fact: The maximum height for buildings, as set by the Civil Aviation Authority, is 280m – only three buildings reach this height: the OUB Centre, the Republic Plaza and the UOB Plaza.
11. Historical Fact: Singapore was the focus of the greatest defeat in British military history, when General Percival surrendered to the Japanese on 15th February 1942. After 3 years of occupation, the Japanese surrendered on 12th September 1945.
12. Weird Fact: The Jurong Bird Park is home to the world's highest man-made waterfall (and over 8,000 birds).
Things to See in Singapore
East Coast Park
Jurong Bird Park