People travel for adventure, business, honeymoons, romance, bro-mance, girls weekends…and a shocking number of those trips involve alcohol. Chances are at some point during your trip (if of the legal drinking age, of course), there will be a swim-up bar, a casino, a local pub with hooligans singing war chants for their football club. And you’ll have a drink. Or six.
The next morning, before dealing with your missing tooth, the tiger in the bathroom, and the baby in the closet, you’ve got to get rid of that leprechaun doing back-flips into the vodka-swimming pool inside your brain: the hangover.
First things first, don’t blame the purveyor of spirits for the splitting headache, that feeling as if a cat eliminated in your mouth, and the fact you’d rather gnaw your own arm off than stir what lies beside you. You made a decision to throw caution to the wind, now act like a grown up and own it. We’re here to help.
This is a top notch list of the best cures for a hangover brought to you from the NileGuide staff (and a few other guys who probably know their stuff).
- Everyone says: Water, H2O, elixir of life, the good stuff, aqua, agua – as a company full of frequent travelers, we’re all on the same page with that one
- Someone who likes wine says: Pedialyte, Vitamin b12, and Bikram Yoga – sounds like a sweaty/hydrating time
- An athlete says: Motrin, Gatorade, Toast, and an hour of slow swimming. Depending on the level of hangover, flip turns may or may not be a good idea
- A Canadian says: Get my butt out of bed and go for a 5k run and/or …camelback full of water and air-popped popcorn and a mimosa, if your stomach can handle it – in summary, get moving, start eating, drink water
- Zain says: Spicy Bloody Marys. Or Pickles and sauerkraut with a little bit of brine (Russians know what they’re doing). Or sitting in a radiant-heat sauna, followed by a plunge in a cold water pool. Lather, rinse, repeat. Or, his favorite, bacon, egg, and cheese on a croissant with a fountain Coca-Cola (the only time he ever drinks Coke). – thanks for all the great cures Zain, can we say experience?
- From our friends at Askmen.com: Ginger Ale, If you don’t want to drink water, try a glass of flat ginger ale, which helps soothe your stomach – good one…sometimes you need a little herbal remedy.
- Compliments of Ehow.com: Carbs…Carbohydrates such as pasta or bread help absorb the alcohol in your stomach to slow the rate at which it enters your bloodstream. – Ehow knows how to fix everything…
- An Engineer says: Drink top-shelf booze in the first place – spoken like a true gentleman
- Product Managers say: Coke, Fried Rice, Hamburger and Fries, greasy food, 5-hour energy, and hair of the dog – typical, strategic and well thought out answers from the people who run major corporations.
Please add your own hangover cure suggestions below. If you’re feeling frisky, go ahead and include a bit of HOW you managed to get that epic hangover too.