10. St John’s Lunatic Asylum – Bracebridge Heath
St Johns opened in 1852 with the particularly lengthy name “Lindsey and Holland Counties and Lincoln and Grimsby District Lunatic Asylum”. Initially intended to hold only 250 patients, it was enlarged multiple times and renamed every time. In 1989 the last patients were moved out of St John’s and the entire estate was sold to a housing development company. Although they turned half of the asylum into housing, they weren’t able to touch many of the gorgeous old administrative buildings, which are protected as historic landmarks.
Image: L-plate big cheese/Flickr
Although the exterior of these buildings is in pretty amazing shape, the interiors are another story. Almost everything has been stripped from the inside . The three things not to miss? The hospital’s massive water tower that still stands next to the asylum, grand double staircase, and the amazingly-still-intact intricate wallpaper covering many rooms.