Christchurch has many scenic, commuter and mountain bike routes for you to explore.
Check with the local i-site to collect a brochure of maps
Remember its compulsory to wear helmets in NZ – even if you are on a bike route or footpath. Basic rule – on a bike? Wear a helmet; make sure its well-fitted and secure
- be VERY visible with hi-vis jackets
- keep tyres pumped up for a smooth easy ride
- service your bike regularly
- ride with friends BUT when on busy roads ride single file
- stay in the bike lane when there is one
- free parking around Chch includes bike stands and lamp posts. And, in lots of car-parking buildings
- obey all the usual New Zealand road rules
One city off road cycle track is the North railway to city cycle path. One of the best in Christchurch, it starts at Armagh St bridge and travels 6.5 Kms to Tuckers Rd in Casebrook.
Want to leave the city – check out the Waimakariri cycling routes on their website