Dealing With an Emergency in Dublin

Travel Tips — By ckenny on July 27, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Nobody goes on holiday expecting to have an accident or become the victim of crime, but the following tips may help to prepare you if an emergency occurs while on holidays in Dublin.

The number for all emergency services, including ambulance, fire brigade and police, is 999 (or 112 from mobiles).

Before leaving home

In advance of your trip, check your health insurance policy to make sure you will be covered for any medical treatment you may need while in Ireland. Visitors from EU countries can apply for the European Health Insurance (EHIC) card, formerly the E111 card, which will cover you for any necessary treatment in a public hospital or with a general practitioner who is registered with the Health Service Executive.

Even with the EHIC or health insurance, all travellers should still apply for travel insurance, which will also cover you for theft, lost property or luggage, or delayed transport. If you are carrying valuable items in your luggage or intend to participate in any extreme sports such as windsurfing, rock climbing or diving on your trip, you may need to specify this in the policy, so check the small print.

If you are taking prescription medications, bring enough supplies with you to last the trip. A note from your doctor can also be useful.

Fallen ill or had an accident?

If you have gotten sick or been in an accident, call 999 for an ambulance or ask your hotel or tour guide to recommend a GP. The main hospitals in Dublin that deal with accidents and emergencies are: Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont Road (01-8093000); Mater Hospital, Eccles St (01-8032000); St James’s, James’s St (01-4103000); St Vincent’s, Elm Park (01-2694533).

The Dublin Dental Hospital on Lincoln Place deals with dental emergencies (01-6127200).

Keep receipts for all medical expenses incurred – you may need them in order to make a claim from your insurance company.

Become a victim of crime?

If you have been robbed or scammed, your hotel or tour operator will be able to assist you to contact the Gardai, the Irish police service, to report the crime. Keep a copy of the police report, including an itemised list of any stolen property, as you may need it to make an insurance claim. All tourist victims of crime will be referred to the Irish Tourist Assistance Service (ITAS), a free service that can provide emotional support and practical assistance, and can arrange to liaise with embassies, organise money transfers or ticket replacements, and to cancel credit cards. They speak several languages. The good news is that 96% of victimised tourists would still recommend Ireland as a holiday destination, and 88% choose to continue their holidays after a crime.

Tags: accident, crime, doctor, Emergency, hospital, illness, police, theft