These are the must-see spots, the can’t-miss attractions, the 10 things any self-respecting tourist wants to check off their list during their visit to New York City. Be prepared for crowds and be patient; these are worth the wait.
1) Empire State Building – The observation deck on the 86th floor of this Art Deco skyscraper offers unparalleled bird’s-eye views of the city.
2) Statue of Liberty & 3) Ellis Island – An American icon, Lady Liberty has welcomed new arrivals to New York since 1886, while nearby Ellis Island was the gateway to a new life for millions of immigrants.
4) Metropolitan Museum of Art – This sprawling museum is ground zero for art lovers, with expansive collections ranging from ancient Egyptian artifacts to contemporary masterworks.
5) Central Park – Though its charms—including miles of walking paths and a plethora of great people-watching opportunities—are perhaps best enjoyed on a sunny summer day, this urban oasis is worth a visit any time of year.
6) Rockefeller Center – Visitors to this top shopping and entertainment destination should also check out the sweeping views from the Top-of-the-Rock observation deck.
7) Grand Central Terminal – Even if you don’t have a train to catch, this historic transportation hub is worth a visit in its own right.
8) Times Square – Go on your way to a Broadway show, or just brave the crowds for a glimpse at only-in-New-York oddities like the Naked Cowboy.
9) Yankee Stadium – Any visitor to New York (except maybe die-hard Red Sox fans) will enjoy a visit to the new home of the 27-time world champion Bronx Bombers.
10) American Museum of Natural History – One of the top museum tickets in town, thanks to the fabulous Rose Center for Earth and Space and an entire floor of dinosaur-related exhibits.